Distance: 18 km
Travelling time: 19 min. (by car)
Castiglione della Pescaia is an ancient village overlooking the sea between Punta Ala and Marina di Grosseto. It is well positioned in that it offers daily excursions to the islands in the Tuscan archipelago. Castiglione della Pescaia boasts ancient origins: the first traces of a population in this area date back to about sixty thousand years ago whilst the first urban settlement is located in Vetulonia (very close to the B&B); the ancient city that the Etruscans founded near Lake Prile (that now no longer exists).
Castiglione della Pescaia: http://www.prolococastiglionedellapescaia.it/
Some of these unspoilt beaches can only be reached by walking for about 20 minutes from the car park such as Cala Violina and Cala Martina. The stretches of unspoilt Maremman coastline with horizontal sweeps of pines to the rear and Mediterranean maquis are breathtaking.
Cala Martina www.maremmaguide.com/cala-martina.html
Distance: 84 km
Travelling time: 1 hr. 15 min. (by car)
Capalbio, the last town in southern Tuscany set on a little hill, surrounded by thick Mediterranean scrub and the towering walls from the year 1400. The city is entered through a Sienese style archway. In the past Capalbio was under the sway of the Aldobrandeschi family. The Aldobrandeschi tower and the Sala del Palazzo, where composer Giacomo Puccini and writer Gabriele D’Annunzio stayed, can be visited. It is also worth visiting the castle, the medieval fortress set in the centre of town and the Church of San Nicola that holds various frescoes of the Sienese school.
Distance: 22 km
Travelling time: 30 min. (by car)
A fortified city on the main line between Rome and Pisa, in 1138, Grosseto became an episcopal see bringing importance to the Maremma region. Later the city passed to the Aldobrandeschi family, was conquered and fell under the dominion of Siena and in 1559 passed to the Medici family. The city is now the provincial capital of Maremma. The small cathedral, begun in 1294, is built of red and white marble alternating, in the Italian Gothic style.
Distance: 36 km
Travelling time: 40 min. (by car)
Massa Marittima is a town, set on a hill about 380 m above sea level, and located about 49 km distance from Grosseto. It is renowned for its mineral springs, mines of iron, mercury, lignite and copper, with foundries, ironworks and olive-oil mills. The town appeared in the early Middle Ages, the bishopric seat of Populonia being moved there around 1000 AD. After the initial domination of the Republic of Pisa, it became an independent comune in the 13th century. In the following century it was conquered by Siena, to which it belonged until it became part of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany in the mid-16th century.
Distance: 100 km
Travelling time: 1 hr. 40 mins. (by car)
Pitigliano is an ancient city set on a hill 380 m above sea level and circa 15 km from the Golfo del Sole, Pitigliano a inhabited in Etruscan times but the first extant written mention of it dates only to 1061. In the early 13th century it belonged to the Aldobrandeschi family and by the middle of the century it had become the capital of the surrounding county.
Pitigliano is home to a series of artificial cuts into the tufa rock to varying depths ranging from less than 1 m to over 10 m. At the bottom of these cuts are carved channels, apparently for water, although some take the form of steps.
Distance: 97 km
Travelling time: 1 hr. 20 min. (by car)
Siena is the capital of the province of Siena. The historic centre of Siena has been declared by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site. It is one of the nation's most visited tourist attractions and is renowned for its museums, medieval cityscape, cuisine, art and the Palio, a horse race held twice a year.
Distance: 83 km
Travelling time: 1 hr. 27 min. (by car)
The thermal baths of Saturnia are famous worldwide. Their sulphurous waters flow at a rate of 800 litres per second at a constant temperature of 37°. Bathing is free.
Distance: 66 km
Travelling time: 1 hr. 15 min. (by car)
The thermal baths consist of a large and impressive thermal pool of warm water known as "Il Calidario". The thermal waters, formerly known as Aquae Populoniae, are rich in sulfur. The water flows at a temperature of 36 °C.
Il Calidario http://www.calidario.it/
Distance: 1.2 km
Travelling time: 3 min. (by car)
Vetulonia is an ancient Etruscan city that reached its glory between the seventh and sixth centuries B.C.. After the splendor of the Etruscan period, Vetulonia declined and it was in 1181 that the Castle of Colonna was built. Of the imposing wall of the Etruscan settlement only a few traces now remain, and in the immediate vicinity of the actual town the Etruscan necropolis is lcoated. it is worth visiting the Tomb of Diavolino and the Tomb of Petrera, which are located on the road that leads to Buriano.
Travelling time: 38 mins. (by car)
This rural landscape, marked by wild horses and long-horned cattle, has been a protected area since 1975. It is characterised by a sweep of pines, Mediterranean scrub, low hills and a coastline that stretches between Talamone and the Ombrone estuary. Marina di Alberese is the most popular beach to visit.